.

.

Saturday, August 18, 2012

Letter of the Week w/ my Littles ~ A

"Letters, Letters, Everywhere!" That is a quote that could be related to my life for the past 7 years. In my "BK" life (aka Before Kids Life) I was a first & Kinder teacher for 4 years. Then, the past 3 almost half years I've been staying home with Emma Kate & Jackson. Singing the alphabet song, saying letters, making all the letters sounds, & spelling words are part of my daily life. Emma Kate has been interested in letters from a pretty young age (roughly 1 1/2). She loved these Baby Einstein alphabet book set we had & through reading them over & over & over again taught herself all the letters & words that start with that letter. One of my bff's, Sara was over the day we kinda "discovered" she knew the whole alphabet & we were both stunned. :)

Then, there's little brother who has his own distinct personality. He beats to his own drum. He hasn't shown much interest in learning his letters. Except singing the alphabet song. Awhile ago, I attempted the Baby Einstein letter books & he wanted nothing to do with them, so I backed off.

However, Jackson LOVES the iPhone & my ipad. I recently downloaded some educational apps & he would probably try to play the "games" all day long if we let him. Most of the apps I got focus on: colors, shapes, letters, numbers, & letter sounds. EK is a champ & for being 2 yrs. old Jackson knew a few more letters & sounds than I expected. So this prompted me to start doing "Letter/Number of the Week" (so Kindergarten teacher like!)

They were both excited for "letter/number of the week". Emma Kate more than Jackson. We started with A & #1. I did "school" with them at their red table. First we started with making the A sound, taught them the correct way to write A, then talked about upper & lowercase letters, made wrote/drew a list of A words, & then we made a craft.  A--Alligator was a easy enough & fun craft for them.

Cutest quote came from EK after we did this: "Okay, now can we start B & #2!"  haha She would prefer a letter of the day! I think with Jackson we should take it slow & not force it. Maybe 2 letters per week to focus on would be good. 

A says "aaaaaaaaaa!!"

Very focused on which marker to pick.


Finished craft & saying "A says aaaaaa!"


Our A list. Pointing to some of our favorite people with A names. :)

letter sticker art

No comments:

Post a Comment